Useful Tutorials on Linux and UNIX for Beginners and Experts Alike
Looking for high-quality Linux and UNIX tutorials? This article tells you where to find more than 30 must-see Linux and UNIX tutorials online.
Linux and UNIX Training for Beginners
Free Linux Tutorials for Beginners
- Introduction to Linux - This IBM tutorial is designed for people who want to learn what Linux is and how to use it.
- Linux Desktop 101 - This 14-week course teaches students how to run the Linux operating system on a PC.
- Hands-On Introduction to Linux - Machtelt Garrels' well-organized tutorial provides a hands-on introduction to Linux.
- Real Time Linux Introduction - A series of introductory Linux tutorials from the National Institute of Standards and Technology.
- Getting Started with Linux - This 20-lesson course from Linux Online is designed for those just getting started with Linux.
- The 35-Command Tutorial - This basic Linux tutorial from BeginLinux.org teaches 35 commands that every Linux user should know.
Free UNIX Tutorials for Beginners
- UNIX Tutorial for Beginners - The University of Surrey's beginner's guide to the UNIX operating system features eight easy-to-follow tutorials.
- A Basic UNIX Tutorial - This Idaho State University tutorial teaches the fundamental of UNIX computing. The tutorial includes exercises and examples.
- UNIX Training Manual - This free 88-page training manual utilizes examples to teach UNIX filesystem commands. Not exactly a tutorial, but useful nevertheless.
- UNIX Command Tutorial - University of Mississippi course that teaches students how to interact with a UNIX operating system and perform various commands.
- UNIX - The Bare Minimum - This tutorial, from a UC Davis professor, offers a basic introduction to UNIX.
- Learning About UNIX - The University of Toronto offers open access to UNIX and Linux course notes. This course focuses on UNIX and Linux tools.
- What is UNIX? - This tutorial offers a simple introduction to UNIX and offers access to a forum for UNIX beginners.
Linux and UNIX Training for Experts
Free Linux Tutorials for Experts
- Linux Online's Course for Advanced Users - This advanced course from Linux Online is fashioned into a series of how-to documents. Designed for thosewho want to learn more about installation, configuration and maintenance tasks.
- Linux System Administration Course - This 28-module course provides comprehensive training for system administrators.
- Kernel Tutorials - The kernel tutorials at HowToForge are a great way for Linux users to learn everything they need to know about kernels.
- Advanced Routing and Traffic Control Tutorial - This advanced Linux tutorial teaches users about routing, filtering and traffic shaping.
- Linux Enterprise Server Courses - Novell Training Services offers several different courses for advanced Linux users.
- Advanced Linux Programming - This tutorial is actually a book that you can download for free. The book teaches users how to develop Linux software and write sophisticated programming.
- IBM's Technical Library - IBM's Technical Library offers a number of useful tutorials for advanced Linux users.
Free UNIX Tutorials for Experts
- Kevin Heard's UNIX Tutorial - Kevin Heard (UC Berkeley) has a fantastic three-part tutorial that starts with an overview of UNIX and ends with advanced topics.
- Advanced UNIX Commands - Although this is more of a list than a tutorial, it makes a good reference for advanced UNIX users.
- Parallel Programming Tutorial - This UNIX tutorial teaches advanced users the ins and outs of parallel programming.
- Advanced Bash Scripting Guide - This UNIX tutorial from the Linux Document Project starts out with a programming overview and moves on to advanced scripting topics.
- UNIX Shell Scripting Advanced - VTC has a number of UNIX tutorials that are in video form. This one guides advanced users through their first shell script.
- Advanced C Shell Programming - This UC Davis tutorial teaches advanced C shell and tcsh programming techniques.
Featured School Choices:
DeVry University responds quickly to information requests through this site.
- Associate - Network Systems Administration
- Bachelor's - Computer Information Systems: Systems Analysis and Integration
- Bachelor's - Computer Information Systems: Enterprise Computing
- Graduate Certificate - Information Systems Management
- Master's - Network and Communications Management
Rocky Mountain College of Art & Design responds quickly to information requests through this site.
- Certificate: Education, Leadership & Emerging Technology
Herzing University responds quickly to information requests through this site.
- B.S. in Technology Management
- Bachelor of Science - Information Technology: Network Management Concentration
- Bachelor of Science - Information Technology: Security Technology Concentration
- Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Administration and Management With No Declared Minor or Concentration
- Associate of Science - Information Technology Administration and Management