Property Rights in Transition OpenCourseWare: MIT's Graduate Level Free Online Course on the Study of Property Rights
MIT offers 'Property Rights in Transition' for free as part of the university's online OpenCourseWare initiative. Aimed at graduate-level students pursuing master's degrees in Urban Studies and Planning, Architecture and other disciplines, this course explores different ideas about who can own property, the freedoms that property rights allow and how to ensure that property rights are enforced. Students will also examine the public policy impact on property rights in different economic, political and social systems.
Property Rights in Transition: Course Specifics
Property Rights in Transition: Course Description
This graduate seminar provides students an opportunity to explore how property-rights policies can affect the distribution of wealth and power in a society. Professor Annette M. Kim of MIT asks students to consider and discuss a number of questions raised throughout the seminar by the readings and lectures including how societies determine what can be owned, who is allowed to own property and what rights owners possess. Students also examine case studies with examples of how property rights are applied in the United States and other countries. In a changing and evolving global economy, this course provides much needed insight into how the world views property ownership and its associated rights and responsibilities.
The online OpenCourseWare version of this seminar includes discussion questions, sample student research papers and a thorough list of readings that includes links to online excerpts from the writings of economic thinkers, including Karl Marx, John Locke and Jean-Jacques Rousseau. To get more information about this free online class, visit the property rights in transition course page.
Featured School Choices:
Southern New Hampshire University responds quickly to information requests through this site.
- MS in Higher Education Administration
- MS in Criminal Justice
- MBA in Criminal Justice
- MEd in Curriculum and Instruction - Dyslexia Studies & LBLD
- MS in Psychology
Colorado State University Global responds quickly to information requests through this site.
- MS - Teaching and Learning
- Master of Project Management
- Master of Finance
- Master of Professional Accounting
- Master - Information Technology Management
Indiana Wesleyan University responds quickly to information requests through this site.
- Master of Public Administration - Criminal Justice
- Master of Business Administration - Health Care Administration
- M.A. Organizational Leadership
- Master of Education - School Administration
- Master of Education - Special Education
Trident University responds quickly to information requests through this site.
- Master's - Education
- Business Administration (Ph.D. BA)
- Health Sciences (Ph.D. HS)
- Master's - Business Administration
- Master's - Health Sciences
Northcentral University responds quickly to information requests through this site.
- Master of Arts in Psychology - General Psychology
- Doctor of Business Administration - Applied Computer Science
- PhD in Business Administration - Applied Computer Science
- MBA - Applied Computer Science
- Master of Business Administration - General Business