20 Cool Tools and Sites for Tutors
Finding different ways to educate and engage students can be difficult for any tutor. But you don't have to go it alone. There are many unique tools and sites online that can help you educate, communicate, collaborate and assist even the most challenged student. Here are 20 useful resources for tutors try.
Flashcards and Quizzes
- ClassMarker - ClassMarker is perfect for tutors who want to create professional-looking online quizzes for students. Quizzes can be timed and can include everything from multiple choice to essay-type questions.
- ProProfs - The ProProfs Quiz School works well for tutors who want to create free online quizzes, tests, exams and trivia pages. Your documents can include text, images and color.
- Quizlet - Quizlet makes studying feel like a video game. The site can be used to create flashcards or find pre-made flashcards on a variety of subjects.
- Cramberry - Cramberry is an excellent site for tutors wishing to give their students extra study practice. The site lets you make your own flashcards and quizzes. Cramberry also tracks the cards students have the most trouble with and shows these cards more frequently.
Sharing the Web
- SimplyBox - SimplyBox allows teachers and tutors to harness information on the web and share it safely with their students. The American Association of School Librarians recently named SimplyBox as one of the best sites for teaching and learning.
- Web-Chops - Similar to SimplyBox, Web-Chops allows users to capture snippets from the web and create personal topic pages. These pages may then be shared with other people.
- Posti.ca - Posti.ca is a unique site that allows Internet users to create and share sticky notes and files over the web. Sticky notes can be created online or with a Google Gadget and shared via email or Twitter.
Communication and Collaboration
- Edmodo - Edmodo is a private online platform for students and teachers who want to communicate over the web. Some of the things that can be shared through Edmodo include files, assignments and study schedules.
- Engrade - The suite of web-based tools works well for tutors who want to manage students online and update parents on student progress. Useful tools on Engrade include online assignment calendars, grade books, attendance books, messaging and instant progress reports.
- Writeboard - This site makes it easy for tutors and students to write, edit, share documents and collaborate online. Whiteboard saves every edit so that you can roll back to previous versions of documents if necessary.
- Mikogo - A desktop sharing tool that can work across multiple platforms. It can be used to communicate and to share screens with students who aren't in the same room with you.
- ooVoo - With ooVoo, you don't need a telephone to answer quick homework questions from your students. This site provides free, two-way video chat that's always crystal clear.
Study Guides and Homework Help
- Shmoop - Although this site is still fairly new, it provides a substantial amount of information for both students and tutors. Shmoop specializes in study guides that can break down complex topics such as history, literature and civics into enjoyable snippets of information.
- NumberNut - This site works like an interactive math textbook. It's wonderful for students who have homework questions or who need to learn more about a specific topic.
- Tools for Educators - Tools for Educators offers a number of unique generators to create custom worksheets, puzzles, games and other documents.
- EduSlide - EduSlide makes it easy for tutors and teachers to create their own elearning materials and lessons to be shared with students free of charge.
- Vocaroo - A free voice recording service that can record music, lessons and other voice messages.
- WyzAnt - WyzAnt is a good place to search for local tutoring jobs. The site has an entire network of students around the U.S. looking for tutors in math, English, foreign languages, music and other areas of study.
- Tutoring Services - Tutors can advertise their tutoring services on this site and receive requests from students who need homework help or tutoring services.
- Tutor Nation - TutorNation connects online and in-home tutors with students around the nation. The site also provides informational articles and other resources for tutors.
Featured School Choices:
DeVry University responds quickly to information requests through this site.
- Master's - Education
- Master's - Educational Technology
- Graduate Certificate - Educational Technology
- Graduate Certificate - Educational Technology Leadership
Grand Canyon University responds quickly to information requests through this site.
- B.S. in Elementary Education: Math
- B.S. in Secondary Education: Mathematics
- B.S. in Elementary Education: English
- B.S. in Secondary Education: English
- M.Ed. in Early Childhood
University of the Rockies responds quickly to information requests through this site.
- Master of Arts in Education - Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
- Master of Arts in Education - Distance Learning
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education
- Master of Arts in Education
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education - Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
Ashford University responds quickly to information requests through this site.
- MA/Education - School Leadership in the 21st Century
- Associate of Arts - Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Arts - Early Childhood Education
Colorado State University Global responds quickly to information requests through this site.
- MS - Teaching and Learning
Southern New Hampshire University responds quickly to information requests through this site.
- MEd in Early Childhood Education
- MEd in Curriculum and Instruction - Dyslexia Studies & LBLD
- MS in Higher Education Administration
- MEd in Educational Leadership