Public Relations Degree: Requirements to Earn a Public Relations Degree
A degree in Public Relations qualifies graduates for careers in such fields as media relations and mass communication. Students can pursue Public Relations at the associate's, bachelor's and master's degree levels. This article explains the requirements to earn a Public Relations degree.
Requirements to Earn an Associate's Degree in Public Relations
Full-time students take two years to complete an associate's degree program in Public Relations. Students typically complete a few general education classes before focusing on Public Relations courses. Some topics covered in many Public Relations programs include public speaking, media relations and ethics, public relations campaigns and persuasive writing. Many programs also require students to take a couple courses related to topics in contemporary avenues of media communications, like website design and online journalism.
Requirements to Earn a Bachelor's Degree in Public Relations
Many schools offer 4-year bachelor's degree programs in Public Relations that prepare graduates for careers in fields like consulting, politics and media relations. Students in Public Relations bachelor's degree programs usually spend their first two years exploring general education subjects, as well as taking some introductory Public Relations topics. Some common subjects covered in upper-division Public Relations courses are public relations writing, mass communication, organizational communication, graphic design and layout, and public relations campaign management.
Requirements to Earn a Master's Degree in Public Relations
Master's degree programs in Public Relations take two years to complete, in addition to the time taken to earn a bachelor's degree. Public Relations master's degree programs provide in-depth information on topics like ethics and laws in media relations, Public Relations theory and history, advanced media relations techniques, and strategic public communication. Postgraduate students can also specialize in particular areas of Public Relations, such as international media communication, Public Relations management or corporate communication.
Featured School Choices:
Ashford University responds quickly to information requests through this site.
- Bachelor of Arts - Public Relations and Marketing
- BA/Public Relations and Marketing - Information Systems
- BA/Public Relations and Marketing - International Management
- BA/Public Relations and Marketing - Project Management
Full Sail University responds quickly to information requests through this site.
- Master of Science - Public Relations
- Bachelor of Science - Media Communications
- Master of Science - Entertainment Business
- Master of Fine Arts - Media Design
- Master of Science - New Media Journalism
University of the Rockies responds quickly to information requests through this site.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Organizational Development and Leadership - Social Media and Technology
- Master of Arts in Organizational Development and Leadership - Social Media and Technology
Southern New Hampshire University responds quickly to information requests through this site.
- MA in Communication: Public Relations
- International MBA in Social Media Marketing
- MBA in Social Media Marketing
- MA in Communication
- MBA in Music Business